DIY Project for pet owners:
·1/4 cup of salt
·1/4 cup of hot water
·1/8 cup of cold water
·1/4 cup of cornstarch
- In a saucepan, boil salt and hot water.
- In a separate bowl, stir the cornstarch and cold water together. Once the cornstarch dissolves, add this mixture to the boiling water. Whisk constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until mixture is a stiff dough. Make sure to stir constantly so it doesn’t burn.
- Drop dough onto table and, once cool, knead for about 5 minutes or until firm.
- Roll out the dough to about ¼ inch thickness and cut into desired shape or use cookie cutters, just like you would cookies. Store any extra clay in a plastic bag for up to 3 weeks.
- Once you have your clay in desired shape take an imprint of your pets paw by gently pressing their paw against the clay.
You can let air dry for 48 hours (in a dry, breezy location) OR Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Bake on a foil covered cookie sheet for about 1 hour
If you would like to decorate your imprint, paint with acrylic or tempera paints (acrylic cover better, but don’t wash out of clothes).
Ideas for displaying and creating your paw print;
· Display In a shadow box frame
· Frame with your pets picture in a dual hinged frame
· Hang as an ornament (make sure to have a hole for the hook prepared before print dries completely)
· Display as a single tile on a plate stand
· Add food coloring