Step One: Eggs in a Basket
- 1 egg
- 1 slice of bread
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or butter
- 1 sliced orange or fresh strawberries (optional)
- Cut a hole in the middle of the slice of bread.
- Add vegetable oil or butter to the frying pan
- Add the slice of bread to the pan.
- Fry the slice of bread on medium until light golden brown. Repeat for the other side.
- Add some more oil or butter to the pan in the open hole of the bread.
- Crack the egg open and drop the egg into the hole.
- Fry the egg and the bread for an additional 1-2min. Then, flip to fry the other side.
- Fry the other side for a 1-2min. Place your “eggs in a basket” on a plate
Step Two: Huevos Rancheros
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup re-fried or black beans with green chilies
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup salsa (optional)
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat.
- Fry tortillas one at a time until firm, but not crisp. Place on paper towels to drain grease.
- Combine the beans and butter in a microwave-safe dish. Cover, and cook in the microwave until heated through.
- When tortillas are done, fry eggs over easy in the skillet.
- Add more oil if the tortillas have absorbed it all.
- Place tortillas onto plates, and spread a layer of beans on them.
- Top with cheese, a fried egg and salsa.
For our concoction we merely made the eggs in a basket as mentioned to replace the tortilla step in the huevos rancheros recipe. Then topped with the ingredients from the rancheros recipe – beans, cheese, salsa.