I recently took an intro class for Kinesio taping. Very cool modality and I’ve used the athletic tape on myself for biking.
The tape was invented by Japanese Dr. Kenzo Kase in the 1979. His theory was to use the tape as a second skin to help influence the sensory motor loop b/w the skin and the brain. This would create vaso-motor, neuro-muscular and neuro-fascial changes that would bring stressed tissues throughout the body back to homeostasis. Quite simply, by re-positioning the skin over an injured tissue, sensory feedback is transmitted to the brain thus adapting and changing all the tissues in response.
Kinesio tape has received a tremendous amount of support from Olympians in the ’08 Summer Olympics in Bejing, China. It is also one of the official sponsors of the US Ski and Snowboarding teams in the ’10 Winter Olympics in Vancouver, B.C.
- Kinesio tape can be used on just about any part of the body for any number of conditions including but not limited to:
- the AC joint (acromioclavicular)
- ACL issues (anterior cruciate ligament)
- Achilles Tendon(itis)
- Biceps Tendon(itis)
- CTS (carpel tunnel syndrome)
- Elbow bursitis
- Plantar fasciitis
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint)
- can be used for Acute, Sub-Acute, Rehabilitation, for Preventative care (Olympics), and/or to return to Homeostasis
- can be worn 24 hours a day, for 3-5 days
- can be worn in water (swimming, in the rain etc) recommended applying 30-40min before activity to allow the adhesive to set
- has the elasticity that matches our skin which gives it the non-restricted support to allow muscles to perform within their full range of motion
- it structurally lifts the skin which allows the flow of body fluids under the applied area; this reduces edema or inflammation and discomfort
Pared Modalities: can be used with other therapies such as…
Cryotherapy = is the local or general use of low temperatures in medical therapy. The term “cryotherapy” comes from the Greek cryo (κρύο) meaning cold, and therapy (θεραπεία) meaning cure.
Hydrotherapy = formerly called hydropathy, is a part of medicine, in particular of occupational and physiotherapy, involves the use of water for pain relief & treatment
Manual Lymphatic Drainage = is a type of gentle massage which is intended to encourage the natural drainage of the lymph from the tissues space body
Electro Stimulation = uses an electrical current to cause a muscle or group of muscles to contract
Acupuncture = one of the main forms of treatment in traditional Chinese medicine; involves the use of needles, inserted in the body at very specific points. Believed to adjust and alter the body’s energy flow into healthier patterns, and is used to treat a wide variety of illnesses and health conditions
IMS (Intramuscular Stimulation) = treatment of myofascial pain syndromes (chronic pain conditions that occur in the musculoskeletal system when there is no obvious sign of injury or inflammation)
Types of Tape: Athletic (white) Taping, McConnell Taping and Kinesio (Tex) Taping
More on the Kinesio Tape Method: Kinesio Taping Method and Kinesio Tex Tape from Medicine.net